Monday, July 2, 2012

It's Monday! What are You Reading? The False Prince

I am not the biggest fan of Fantasy books so when some of my students recommended I read The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen I did hesitate at first...but I am so glad I did!  I loved reading The False Prince and am now hooked on the series since this is Book 1 - I can't wait for Book 2 to come out!  Now I really know what my students feel like when they get hooked on a series and can't wait to read the next book in line.  


Goodreads Summary:  The False Prince  is the thrilling first book in a brand-new trilogy filled with danger and hidden identities that will have readers rushing breathlessly to the end.  In a discontent kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a plan to find an impersonator of the king's long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner's motives are more than questionable, yet he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage's rivals have their own agendas as well.  As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner's palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies put together.

My thinking:  The characters come to life in this book, especially Sage, and as a reader you empathize and worry about their safety and their every move.  The suspense hooked me and at times, I was completely shocked by some of the truths revealed in this story about the characters and events.  I love when I am surprised by events and character actions/decisions instead of being able to predict what may happen.  This is a suspenseful, action packed story is perfect for students in 5th grade and up and will leave them hanging at the edge of their seats.  It will hook  readers who crave action, suspense, and adventure. 

Happy Reading! :)

1 comment:

  1. i saw that Colby read this last week, too! I'm excited to read it, it's already on my TBR. I really enjoy fantasy so I'm guessing I'll like it! I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete